RSA & RCG Training

Cost & Time Effective | Career Advancement


Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to do another assessment for RCG after the face-to-face classroom course with you?

Liquor and Gaming NSW (L&G) is the regulator of RSA/RCG courses in NSW. They have recently changed the rules governing the way they issue RCG competency cards. Now you will need to do the course with an approved training provider (like CBD College) and then afterwards, do an additional 25 multiple choice questions. You will be notified by L&G by text or email after your class and once this assessment is complete, you will be issued with an Interim Certificate. You will then be able to apply for your competency card at a Service NSW centre.

What level of English do I need?

Excllent spoken English is needed for in-class role plays to provide complex information on RSA laws in a way that is easily understandable for customers. Students need to speak firmly and clearly in role plays involving intoxicated customers in a manner that de-escalates conflict.

Excellent written English is needed for written assessments completed in-class. Students need to write complex information in written assessments. 

Excellent reading and comprehension skills are necesary to navigate Student Course Notes, policies and procedures documents and to take in information as the trainer progresses through the training materials.

Are you a Registered Training Organisation?

Yes. CBD College is also 100% Australian owned and has been a Registered Training Organisation for over a decade. We specialise in providing training programs to achieve timely and cost effective solutions for our clients.

Who can enrol?

Anyone who has never previously held a competency card or whose competency card has been expired for more than 28 days. (On the other hand, if you are simply renewing, click here.) Student visa holders can enrol.

What are some of the other requirements I should know about?

In order to be competent in assessments, you will need to possess effective language, communications and interpersonal skills and have the ability to write a range of documentation. 

How am I assessed?

For RSA and RCG, practical skills are assessed in-class through role-plays. Knowledge is tested by written questioning completed in class. For RCG, there is an additional online assessment that needs to be done after class that is administered by Liquor and Gaming NSW.

Online learning is now a requirement for all students undertaking our 5 hour barista course. Whilst it involves knowledge testing to be done prior to class and in your own time, it means that when you come to your class, it will be much more practical than it has been in the past. You will spend more time on the espresso machine practising what we are going to teach you in class.

We are first coffee training facility in Australia to offer knowledge testing online and we believe that it will now mean that our practical classes will leave students feeling much more confident in their ability to make coffee – the whole reason for undertaking the course in the first place.

Please note that you will not be issued with a Statement of Attainment at the conclusion of your class unless the online learning has been completed. There are 76 multiple choice questions in the online learning and it may take 1-2 hours to complete.

You will get your login details in your confirmation email once you enroll in the class.

Are you Liquor and Gaming NSW Approved?

Yes. Approved Training Provider #CCR10000169

What student support does CBD College offer?

Our trainers and assessors are both experienced and skilled in giving support to learners and in making reasonable adjustments to training and assessment to accommodate learner needs, where required. Where necessary, our trainers and assessors can make themselves available to meet with students outside scheduled course times. Ongoing support can be obtained by calling CBD College on 1300 616 218 or by emailing

What do I wear?

Neat and tidy comfortable clothing is required to be worn. For coffee courses, you must wear enclosed shoes.

Should I bring your ID?

Yes.  Candidates must bring one form of original photo ID on the day of the course (passport, Australian Drivers License or RTA Proof of Age Card).

Do you have a dedicated booking office?

Yes. As we are one of Sydney's largest vocational trainers and we have a dedicated booking office on level 10 of the Dymocks Building. You do not need to be worried about being turned away because a class is in progress or visiting at a specified time. We look forward to seeing you.

How do I pay for the course?

Payments need to be made for our classes with a credit card online (our site is highly secure - payment is made via the Commonwealth Bank), or call us on 1300 838 962 and pay by credit card over the phone, or by coming to our Sydney office Mon-Fri 9am-5pm at the above address to pay by cash, EFTPOS or credit card. Bookings for our courses prior to the day of the course are essential and candidates cannot be enrolled without paying first.

Is the RSA and RSG photo Competency card included in the course costs for these courses?

Yes. It is included.

Does the advertised price include the workbooks and all materials I need?

Yes, everything is included, workbooks, etc are all included. You do not have to worry about "surprising extras" once you start with us.

What do I bring to the class?

Candidates must bring one form of original photo ID on the day of the course (passport, Australian Drivers License or RTA Proof of Age Card). Also bring some writing material if you want to take any notes during the course. Our classes start promptly so don’t be late!

Is there an age limit for your RSA/RCG courses?

There is no age limit for our RSA and RCG courses but note that you are not allowed to work in licensed venues unless you are 18.

Is this valid outside of NSW?

Yes - click here for more information.

How do I renew my RSA down the track?

The RSA/RCG competency card lasts for five years from the date of passing your first competency. You will need to renew the card before the expiry date on the card. You can now renew your photo competency card for five years by completing online refresher training and paying a $45 renewal fee. If your card is expiring soon, you will be notified by Liquor and Gaming NSW by email and SMS about how to renew and complete the online refresher training. The face to face class is for first-timers only.

How do I know your trainers are the best in the business?

We have a long history of academic discipline. See more about us here

What is a USI Number?

The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:

•   creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with

•   will give you access to your training records and transcripts

•   can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere

•   is free and easy to create and

•   stays with you for life

For more details and to create a USI go to the Government USI site here.

Do all students need a USI Number?

Yes.  All students doing nationally recognised training from January 1, 2018 need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).

For more details and to create a USI go to the Government USI site here. 

Where do I go to create my USI Number?

For more details and to create a USI go to the Government USI site here.

What if I cannot achieve competency at the end of the training day?

You will have to re-book and pay full price again if you wish to attempt the course for a second time.

What do I get when I graduate?

After you have completed your assessments and have been deemed Competent, a PDF of your nationally recognised Statement of Attainment will be made available to you in your student portal within 24 hours of your class from CBD College Pty Ltd, RTO 91399.

Do I need to do anything before coming to my course?

For the coffee courses there is online learning involved which needs to be completed before you attend your course.

What are my consumer rights?

CBD College ensures they comply with all state and federal legislation relevant to students' rights as consumers.

Such legislation includes but is not limited to:

For more information, please click on the links above.

Our Guarantee

Our Guarantee